- dedicated to fun and lightness
- a software engineer
- an information architect
- a ux architect
- an interaction designer
- a photography enthusiast
- a lover of orange, lowercase and white space
- an avid shoe wearer
- a serious michael jackson fan
- completely amused by the genius behind realultimatepower.net
Hi. I'm Heather and I am
Languages & Software
Collaborative problem solver dedicated to ease of use with over 15 years experience in software focused on engineering, design, product and people management.
- Chicago, IL
- (847) 921-1388
Senior Software Engineer
2019 - Present
- Build experiences for the consumer facing app, the dealer facing app and the admin facing app as part of a complete replatforming.
- Write and maintain unit tests for all code introduced.
- Maintain and enforce the highest standards for front-end implementation of design standards and principles.
- Champion accessibility in all apps.
- Collaborate in planning, estimating and prioritization of work as it relates to company goals.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure consistent customer experiences across channels.
- Cultivate strong relationships with product and ux.
- Onboarded, mentored and educated team members.
- Provide support for internal and external users.
Elixir, Phoenix, Liveview, Bootstrap
Lead UX Architect & Software Engineer
2018 - 2019
4Degrees, Chicago, IL
- Frequently moderate user testing sessions to gain insights into user needs and validate hypotheses.
- Continually educate the team on ux best practices, understanding user behavior and test moderation.
- Manage all visual design efforts.
- Design & build pattern library.
- Lead team in crafting design principles.
- Significantly improve user experience in web app and emails.
- Build and QA all emails.
- Design & build customer facing site.
- Collaborate to design mobile app, gmail extension and outlook add-in.
- Collaborate on planning & feature prioritization.
- Build out features for desktop app.
Python on Flask using Jinja and Bootstrap
2016 - 2018
Gamut, Chicago, IL
- Built a team of 6 UXAs, 1 Visual Designer and 1 UX Researcher.
- Led the UX team in developing UX principles and charter.
- Built pattern library and corresponding Axure libraries.
- Managed the creation of the visual style guide.
- Managed all testing and insights gathering efforts across the organization using tools such as SessionCam, Google Analytics, User Testing and more.
- Worked with all business units to ensure a consistent customer experience across all touchpoints.
- Developed relationships with all business units to position UX as a valuable partner.
- Worked with Product Manager and Engineering Manager to evolve sprint work processes and quality.
- Designed and built a mobile trivia game for team building.
Lead UX Architect
2015 - 2016
Gamut, Chicago, IL
- Collaborated with product managers, engineers and stakeholders to develop strategy.
- Collaborated with product managers and engineers to plan project execution.
- Created prototypes/wireframes for responsive ecommerce site and admin workstation.
- Collaborated with team members to generate insights based on a deep understanding of business and user needs.
- Validated designs using a variety of methods to ensure ease of use.
- Continually user tested all software.
- Collaborated on early database design.
- QAed all releases for interaction requirements.
- Led release demos and worked closely with internal users in order to iterate software to best support their changing needs.
- Designed and built transactional emails.
Senior UX Planner & Strategist
2014 - 2015
Grainger, Chicago, IL
- Ran discovery activities to understand customer needs, business goals, problem context, as well as organizational and technical constraints.
- Planned and executed lightweight research, ideation, and concepting activities and workshops with stakeholders and appropriate UX practices.
- Synthesized, summarized and presented findings to inform thinking as well as drive decision-making and alignment through concepts and high-level designs.
- Used frameworks to help inform business partners and business strategy.
- Helped to create an experience strategy/roadmap that aligns with the organization’s business objectives.
- Drove ideation and concepting to align thinking between business and execution.
- Drove testing to validate ideas before investment.
- Developed user profiles, scenarios, guiding principles, mental models and journey maps.
Senior Interaction Designer
2011 - 2014
Crate & Barrel, Chicago, IL
- Conceptualized and created wireframes for all desktop and mobile sites.
- Conceptualized and created wireframes for the company's first mobile app for iPhone and Android.
- Led the design iterations of checkout which the Baymard Institute proclaimed the #1 checkout among the top 100 eCommerce sites in 2012.
- Led storyboarding workshops
- Consistently pulled data from Omniture to evaluate effectiveness of recent launches and tests.
- Regularly moderated user testing.
- Prepared tests and analyzed results for card sorting and tree testing.
- Created A/B tests using Optimizely.
- Created HTML and Axure prototypes for user testing on desktop and mobile products.
- Worked with Site Management team to design A/B and multivariate tests.
- Recommended and designed iterative improvements to all web products based on:
- A/B and Multivariate testing
- Remote user testing
- In-store user testing
- Site analytics
- Card sorting
- Opinion lab feedback
- Redesigned, built and QAed all transactional emails for all 3 brands.
- Designed, built and QAed portions of sales associate website.
- hampioned changes to make sites more consistent, lean and tablet friendly prior to going responsive.
2006 - 2011
Palacegate, Skokie, IL
- Created high fidelity wireframes complete with functional specifications for Palagegate clients.
- Analyzed & redesigned current customer interfaces in order to increase usability.
- Heuristically evaluated competitors' sites in order to create more user centered designs.
- Created HTML prototypes.
Freelance Web Developer
2009 - Present
Design and build new websites for small businesses.
Minor in Secondary Education.
Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL
Graduated with honors.
Lady in Red
Dreaming in Watercolor
Exploring New Orleans
Natural Wonders of Chicago
2016 Spartan Race
Crate & Barrel